Frequently Asked Questions About L-1 Visas

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: June 19, 2020
Frequently Asked Questions About L-1 Visas

L-1 visas are useful tools for businesses that are attempting to transfer workers over to an office in the United States. Here are some frequently asked questions about L-1 visas:

What Is An L-1 Visa?

An L-1 visa is one of the most useful immigration tools for foreign companies looking to make ties with the United States. This visa facilitates the transfer of key employees to the United States from companies that are related to or affiliated with United States corporations. As long as the specific requirements of the visa are met, nationals from all countries are welcome to use it.

What Are The Advantages Of An L-1 Visa?

An L-1 visa allows an individual to:

  • Work in the United States for an organization that is a subsidiary, branch, affiliate, or parent of the company for which they worked in a foreign country
  • Travel outside and within the United States
  • Obtain visas for their spouse and minor children. Spouses are permitted to work under their visa
  • Have dual intent, meaning they can intend to pursue permanent residency while staying in the United States under the L-1 visa
  • L-1A visa holders could start a new branch or office in the United States if none existed
  • When applying for a green card, they can skip the labor certification process

For My L-1 Visa Application To Be Successful, What Type Of Company Should I Work For?

Any company is eligible to apply for an L-1 visa as long as there is a relationship between the company in the United States and the company in a foreign country.

What Are The Differences Between An L-1A Visa And An L-1B Visa?

Two types of employees may be sponsored with an L-1 visa. An L-1A visa is for managers and executives. These are individuals who have supervisory responsibility for staff and/or serve a key function in the subdivision or department of the employer. L-1A visas are good for three years and can be extended in two-year increments for up to seven years. An L-1B visa is for employees with specialized knowledge. It covers individuals with knowledge of the company’s products/services, proprietary techniques, research systems, management, or procedures. L-1B visas are good for three years and can be extended in two-year increments for up to five years.

Contact An Experienced Visa Attorney

If you are interested in learning more about what the L-1 visa can do for your business, you should talk to an experienced immigration attorney. At Serving Immigrants, we have the knowledge and the experience necessary to navigate the process. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Magdalena Cuprys, Esq.

As an immigrant and a refugee herself, attorney Magdalena Cuprys understands how
important, terrifying, and exciting immigrating to America can be. She understands
how important it is to have one’s legal status in order to achieve the American dream.

Translate »