As part of your application for an L-1 visa, you will be required to undergo in an in-person interview with a consular officer. The consular officer will primarily be ensuring that you meet all of the requirements of an L-1 visa before issuing the visa. You may be nervous about your L-1 visa interview, so here are some tips to help you prepare.
Prior To The L-1 Visa Interview
- Be sure to arrive at the interview 15-30 minutes in advance.
- Make sure you are in the right line at the consulate.
- Make sure that all your documents are in proper order.
- Make sure that you thoroughly understand all of your documents.
- If your company offers mock interviews, be sure to attend them.
- Know the team structure at your current job and how it will work in the United States.
- Dress is what you are comfortable in. A suit and tie are not necessary but make sure you look neat and clean.
Behavior During The L-1 Visa Interview
- Try not to be nervous. Act confidently.
- Maintain good, relaxed body language.
- Don’t talk too fast. Talk in a slow and clear manner.
- Make sure to greet the officer and wish them well at the end of the interview.
- Maintain eye contact when speaking to the consular officer.
- Speak clearly into the microphone so they can hear you properly.
- If the interviewer’s voice is not audible, ask them politely to repeat the question.
- Maintain a smile on your face.
- Don’t look at what is going on at other windows.
Questions And Answers
- Use layman’s terms. Don’t use overly technical terms in an effort to impress the consular officer.
- If you are specialized in a technology be prepared to explain it in plain terms.
- Answer the question that is asked. Some questions only require a yes or no answer.
- Do not give more details unless asked for them.
- Answer truthfully. Just because you have a negative answer doesn’t mean it will work against you.
- Provide concise answers and don’t rush.
- Practice your answers at home
- Prepare only one answer for each question.
- If you are asked multiple questions together, make sure to answer them in the same order.
- Whatever your answers are, be prepared to justify them and provide further explanation if necessary.
Contact An Immigration Attorney
If you are applying for an L-1 visa, you may want an immigration attorney with extensive experience applying for visas. At Serving Immigrants, Inc., we have the experience and the knowledge to guide you through the application process. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.