Understanding The O Visa Categories

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: December 27, 2019
Understanding The O Visa Categories

O nonimmigrant visas are available for individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary abilities and would like to perform those abilities in the United States. O-1 visas allow an individual to stay in the United States for three years, and there are unlimited extensions available. There are several different categories of O visas, and it’s important to know the difference.

O-1A Visas

O1-A visas are reserved for individuals with extraordinary abilities in the sciences, education, business, or athletics. These individuals must demonstrate their extraordinary abilities by showing sustained national or international acclaim for their accomplishments. It indicates a level of expertise that shows an individual is one of a small percentage in their field. Individuals with an O1-A visa are coming to the United States on a temporary basis to work in the area of their extraordinary ability.

O-1B Visas

O-1B visas are available for individuals with extraordinary abilities in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry. To demonstrate extraordinary abilities in this field, an individual must show that they are renowned, known, and well-respected in their field. Individuals in the motion picture and television industries must show that they are an outstanding, notable, or leading figure in the industry.

O-2 Visas

O-2 visas are reserved for individuals who will accompany the O-1 visa holder (usually an artist or an athlete) to assist in a specific event or performance. The O-2 worker must have critical skills and experience with the O-1 visa holder that cannot be readily performed by a worker in the United States. These skills must be essential to the successful performance of the O-1. For an O-1A, the O-2’s assistance must be an “integral” part of the O-1A’s performance. For an O-1B, the O-2’s assistance must be “essential” to the successful completion of the O-1B’s production.

O-3 Visas

O-3 visas are available for the spouse and children of the O-1 and O-2 visa holders.

Contact An Experienced O Visa Attorney

If you would like to apply for an O visa, you may want an experienced immigration attorney to help you through the process. At Serving Immigrants, P.C., we have extensive experience in O visa applications and would love to help you. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Magdalena Cuprys, Esq.

As an immigrant and a refugee herself, attorney Magdalena Cuprys understands how
important, terrifying, and exciting immigrating to America can be. She understands
how important it is to have one’s legal status in order to achieve the American dream.

Translate »